Tuesday 13 December 2011

Earth Wise-Owl Chapter one

Nice family day by the beach. It's the summer holidays and my older siblings and step-siblings are home savouring up there last day home before they leave for collage or university again. The eat and laugh but they don't understand is this beach use to be filthy with rubbish, that is until I protested. I gave the locals a nice beach and I didn't get any thanks but I did get grounded.

I use to be the baby of the family until Rio came along. She is three now, nearly four and is the only thing that matters at the moment. You see she had an accident a few months ago, the bath water was too hot and she burned her arms. Now wearing cardigans, jumpers and sleeves are a necessity. 

I never felt that close to my family, they all of different ideas and find me and tell me that I am strange. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, they say it like they're teasing and mocking me. Teal and Rick both go to University study something to do with Accounting, Navy is doing Marketing and Molly is following her dream and taking Photography.

I sit next to the ocean feeling the spray and tasting the salt, I love the ocean. When I'm here I feel closer to nature, closer to the Earth and I feel very spiritual. I like to meditate here and think about stuff, today I'm thinking about what my mum told me last night...

It started off that she was telling me that I needed to keep my fists down and stop fighting, protesting and skipping school to throw eggs at town hall. She said she understood and was proud that I was so passionate about something but that I should find another way to voice my opinion, she doesn't understand though...not really.

"Mum forget it, I'm a disappointment because I have a passion for this world"

She stayed silent for a while and then smiled,
"A wise old owl once said, following your heart is hard but when you do follow it you find happiness"

I could no longer replay that scene in my head without feeling funny, as though part of me was sad and yet happy. I was confused so I got up and shook my head and walked down the beach, it was a nice day and I should enjoy what nature has to offer not sit and be sad.

I stopped when I saw the guy in front of me he looked different to the other guys around here and his green hair was amazing.

"Hi"
His voice was soft and yet strong.
"Hey" 

He turned to look at me and his eyes, wow they were amazing too the brightest green ever seen.
"I'm Ego"
"Earth"

He smiled, most people did when they heard my name but he wasn't teasing he seemed to like it.
"So Earth, are you part of the Cause?"
"What Cause?"

"The Cause is helping and protecting this great land we call our home, helping the oceans, the land and the air be clean and well looked after. Making sure animals can live without fear of logging, hunting and becoming endangered. Yeah you can call me all the names you want but I love this little planet we call home, so I ask again are you part of The Cause?"

He stopped and I was in awe, everything he said I agreed with and everything he said I stood for. He understood what I was trying to achieve and he knew the hurt of the teasing.

"I completely agree, count me in"

He put his hand on my cheek, he looked happy and relived just as I was that finally we had found someone that believed in the same principles as us. His fingers brushed my cheek and I felt the warmth of his skin and my fingers wrapped around his hand.

"Your different Earth, I hope to see you soon"

Then my family started calling me and I had to go.

I sat on the banister of the spiral staircase, this was my second favourite place. Here I could see everything that was going on and I had the thrill of nearly falling, I wasn't a adrenaline junkie so I small things fulfilled my need for thrills. Rick always brags about all the thrilling things he did on his gap year, like I care.

I watch as mum and Robbie say their goodbyes to Navy and Molly, Teal and Rick left an hour ago. I know I should really be over there say good bye too, but my head is to busy daydreaming about Ego and his amazing green eyes...

No comments:

Post a Comment