Wednesday 28 December 2011

Earth Wise-Owl Chapter four

I never thought I would be in the library on a Saturday studying but here I am, it's the only place apart from school my mum lets me go to while I'm grounded. Still there was no way I was going to fail school, so hitting the books was common nowadays. It worked though, now I was getting B's.

I missed Ego like crazy though, I couldn't wait until is was finally free from punishment but that was a week away still. So I ploughed though the books as it was the only thing I could do without getting a disapproving look from Robbie or mum.

A phone call for me was rare, I never had any friends so getting a call got me very excited. I was elated when I realised who was calling.
"Ego!"
"Yeah, Earth...I need to talk to you. It's important I'll meet you on the beach in ten minutes"

Begging and pleading to mum to let me go was apparently wasn't needed. She let me go without a fuss, of course I had to listen to a speech about how well I had turned my life around and how proud she was of me and all that but eventually she said,
"Ok off you go"
 
I climbed the stairs, tears stinging and hurting me as if they were acid. I felt so angry and depressed and as if I could scream until I passed out. I plodded up to my room, mum was asking what was wrong, Robbie echoed mum's concern and even Rio looked full of sympathy.

"Come on Earth! Let me in!"

She had been begging for days. That's right days. When I saw mum on the sofa crying for dad I told myself never to me like that and now I'm doing the exact same thing only on a bed. Soon though Rio got the better of me, I unlocked the door and allowed her entry.

"So he is just going to go"

Rio was actually a good listener, she stood there staring out the window as I poured my heart out to her. I nodded a looked at her, she was so young and yet she would get all this one day.

I thought back to when he told me he was leaving, his parents found new jobs and they were moving again. I had lost so much time with him due to my stupid actions, he told me not to blame myself and not to cry. He wanted one more unspoilt kiss, so fighting back tears we kissed even though we were braking apart.

"Honey, I got you something"

I guess unlocking my door meant mum thought she could just walk in, I looked up and saw the little puppy in her hand. I gave her a look that asked my questions for me.

"I thought you need cheering up...so meet Bella"

Getting up I took Bella off mum and hugged her. Suddenly I felt a lot better, as if this little ball of fluff was somehow mending all my wounds. I looked at mum but with a nod of her head I knew that she didn't want any thanks, she smiled at me and I realised I was smiling too.

Three weeks later I got out of bed. There was something I needed to do before I could finally move on, now I felt strong enough to do it. Bella was already out of her bed and waiting at the door, as if she knew that today was going to be hard she was looking at me in a comforting way.

Treading in the wet sand, thinking about Ego and how every important moment we had seemed to be on this beach. Bella ran in and out of the water and I just walked slowly, I didn't feel sad just happy and maybe a bit lonely. Then I whispered into the wind,

"Goodbye Ego"

No comments:

Post a Comment