Saturday 11 February 2012

Earth Wise-Owl Chapter eleven

So I was pregnant, the thing that I had been thinking so hard about- to have a child or not- crept up on us before I even made a decision. Yet we couldn't be happier, yes it meant moving away from my beloved beach. But the local lake helped my missing desires to see water flowing and moving, I'm sure the baby love it to as he or she kicked a lot when I came here.

Ego became a very good farther, he quit his job as a fisherman as he couldn't keep travelling to and from the beach in the early mornings everyday. He got a job at the local garden centre, the owner was even kind enough to offer me a job for when the baby is old enough and I need to go back to work. Although my mum is very content with only helping out at the daycare and mostly being a stay-at-home mum, just like Grandma Cass I would rather work.

Ego had a strange ritual of talking to the baby before we went and after he came home from work, he said it's good for the baby to hear our voice. At first I thought he was going crazy but now even I must admit when I'm on my own I also talk to the large bump, I do not do the strange voice that Ego uses when he talks to the bump.

Even though I was adjusting to life in this new house, the neighbours were something else. They hated and I mean hated the fact we were Berries, it got me so angry we decided we would have to move before I punched them. I thought Berry-haters we long gone and something from the past, I guess not. So were endlessly house-hunting again.

Apart from that my pregnancy was great, ok so sometimes I got really tired and couldn't concentrate on what Ego or anyone else was saying. My family are bursting to tell me their stories of labour and pain during the birth, I want to scream at them 'I DON'T WANT TO KNOW!' honestly I don't want the panic of the endless questions, I'd rather keep calm and not know.

Soon though I found out for myself what labour was like, I wanted a natural birth even though people looked at me like I was crazy. I wanted to prove I was stronger than them and I put of using pain relief for as long as possible...but yes I did give in and ask for every possible drug I could have. 

It was all worth it though, I gave birth to a healthy girl. With my skin and Ego's hair and amazing green eyes, she was the cutest thing I had ever seen. As she is my beloved girl I named her after my beloved ocean, Ocean Wise-Owl sounds nice don't you think?

She soon become the apple of Ego's eye, once I don't think he put her down for a whole day! If she doesn't grow up to be daddy's little girl I'll be surprised, extremely surprised. Call me bias but I think mum and Robbie prefer her to the rest of their grandchildren, even Teal admits she is probably the best looking out of my sibling's offspring.

Sometimes I felt guilty though, Ocean would never have another brother or sister. I had quiet a few...complication in delivery causing me to stay in hospital for long than I thought. To cut things short I can't have children anymore, at first I couldn't believe it. Fertility means a lot to women, I never understood why before now I know. Still life goes on and I have all I need, family, Ego, Ocean and a new house away from those neighbours!

Ocean soon grew up to be a energetic seven year old, she was into everything. Sports, art, music, you name it she wanted to give it a go and she put so much effort into everything, forget about 110% she put in more than 200%!  We soon learnt we would have to leave the back door permanently open as she was always in and out, I hoped it was trait she would have for the rest of her life.

Still there was one thing I had to always nag her about, she would never and I mean never have to be told twice about anything apart from this.

"Ocean, where are your glasses?"
"Mum I hate them, you can't do anything with them!"
"Yes you can you can wear them like your meant to, now go put them on. Now!"

Yes the glasses thing was annoying, no matter how much I told her it was for her own good she refused to wear them. Until one day we had just come back from Parent's Evening and the teachers all told us she was smart and bright the usual destined for great things, it was the first time I had taken her with me. We got home and she put on her glasses and began reading everything in the house.

Now I have to nag her to stop studying and go outside!

No comments:

Post a Comment