Wednesday 15 February 2012

Earth Wise-Owl Chapter twelve

As always now on a nice sunny day she was resurching and working on her studies. I did worry about her, she no longer wanted to go to skate parks, forests and dance class instead she wanted books, electronic spell checks and travel dictonaries. Her school work was getting marks way behond her class level, in fact she has skipped a year to trying and give her more challenging work.

Still that wasn't good enough for her, she wanted all her qualifications now. She didn't even complain about her glasses anymore, in fact she loved them as they made her more 'smart' according to her. She was more like a worker than a school child.

"Ocean I think we need to have a chat"


"What's up mum?"

I didn't really know how to say this, how can I tell my child to stop doing school work and to stop doing well it's opposite to everything your ment to tell your child.

"Well your doing a lot of unnessasary school work lately"

"Yeah, so?"

I suddenly had a brain wave on how to approach the subject, I would tell her in the same way my mum told me about life lessons. By using the family name. I put my hand under her chin and smiled at her, she looked up at me full of innocence.

"Ocean, a wise old owl once said that you shouldn't let other people tell you want to do you go for your dreams and never let anyone tell you otherwise"

She looked confused, like I did when mum gave me a speak similar to that.
"But I am following my dreams"

Did that confuse me? Yes it did. Then I suddenly understood what she meant, from ever since she was small she put 200% effort into everything. This was just her putting as much effort into school work as she did with everything else, she was happy and so I should be too. So her 16th birthday came and my baby got top marks in her exams and was off to 6th form.

She was a beautiful young women, I hoped I was that pretty and wonderful when I was her age. She started studying what I thought was very hard subjects, taking night classes and out of school qualifications. She took things like maths, business, finance, law, architecture and accounting, some how she stayed on top of everything.

You know I always thought she would be a daddy's girl, I was wrong. Sure she was close to Ego but no more than she was to me, in fact I think she prefers her own company to either of ours. Maybe it's because we are so different, we are all about saving the world and she is more about getting the top scores in everything she wants.

Ego and I were going well, my siblings often ask was I ever insecure that he might leave me as I can no longer have children. The honest answer is no, we have been through so much I never dreamt he would ever leave me due to me not being able to conceive again.

"Listen honey, I had an idea"
"what is that?"
"Why don't we go travelling again, help with charity work in poor countries again"

I looked at my husband while he held my hands, the idea of travelling again hadn't even crossed my mind. Ocean was soon going off to university so it wasn't like I was leaving her, so I agreed of course.

"You know what Ego I love you a lot, you are the best"
"Well you know what Earth I love you way more than you love me"
"I beg to differ" 

So my family is small, just Ego, Ocean and me. My dad died when I was small, my mum re-married and it took me ages before I let my step-dad in to my life. I protested and yet found love and when I lost that love I found it again, sometimes I didn't know what I wanted but everything worked out for the best. Not a bad life Earth Wise-Owl, not a bed life at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment